[mythtv-users] Script for viewing Frontend status in MythWeb?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 06:15:46 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Chris Watson
<mythtv-users at needhammarket.co.uk> wrote:
> I was just wondering if anybody has produced a script for viewing the
> status of one or more frontends within MythWeb?
>
> I imagine that this must be possible using the frontend control socket
> - I know for instance that the 'query location' command returns the
> timestamp of the current position in the playback, together with the
> filename of the program being played.  Presumably this could be
> queried against the database to find the program name.
>
> I guess it would also be possible to use the GetScreenShot action via
> the API to display a grab of the current playback location if so
> desired.
>
> Unfortunately, I dont have the nounce to script this myself, but
> wondered if anybody had done anything like this in the past?
>
> I can find a similar question being asked about four years ago
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/356979?search_string=frontend%20status;#356979),
> but no real answer.

Interesting idea.

Query location in a video playback gives a fairly usable answer,
assuming your videos have a readable name:

Playback Video 1:02:17 1x myth://Videos@192.168.1.11:6543/Movies/The
African Queen/The African Queen.avi 93434 25

in a recording playback it gives the filename again, but that would
need some database lookup (fairly trivial though) to produce a name
and episode number.

Playback Recorded 0:13 of 35:00 1x 2004 2012-09-23T21:00:00 332
myth://192.168.1.11:6543/2004_20120923210000.mpg 25

> As an aside, that thread also makes reference to remote control of the
> frontend via Mythweb, but I cannot see a way to implement this - or
> mention of it in the MythWeb wiki?

I think it has been removed, wasn't all that useful really.