[mythtv-users] New blue-abstract theme 1.8

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Mon Sep 24 21:51:45 UTC 2012

On 24/09/2012 11:42 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/20/2012 12:59 AM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>> We want to get away from having a setting for every little feature
>>> like this.
>>> Some might like scrolling but not some other feature.
>> Why so, whats wrong with lots of configurable content.  IMO, the more
>> configuration options the better.   Dont necessarily need a gui
>> interface for every option, just some documentation on the wiki.
>> Look at Windows for instance, there are 1000's of configurable option
>> via the registry.
>
> Because probably a good percentage (>50%...  possibly much higher) of
> the bugs reported to us are due to or obscured by user-specified
> settings that make their copy of MythTV work differently from
> normal/differently from the developers who are trying (and, often,
> failing) to reproduce the issue so they can fix it.  Unfortunately,
> users don't generally understand the options, anyway***, and often
> flip switches because they sound "good," and end up breaking
> things****.  I could give you links to hundreds of threads where a
> user complains that something doesn't work in MythTV only to later
> find out that they flipped a switch that they didn't remember
> flipping, which disabled whatever feature they now wanted to use.

Provide a Restore to Default Settings Button/Option, so in the > 50%
cases, the first line of support is to "Restore to Defaults, check if
problem persists".  The ability to "remove" from database all existence
of a host is also a desirable feature, for when you setup a new machine
(using an old machines hostname), creates a lot of unnecessary debugging
/ fixing.

> Besides, when it comes to themable options, you /already/ have a
> setting for every single feature--the theme itself provides the
> settings. Removing these "coarse-grained" settings actually gives the
> power user /more/ control over things by allowing them to apply
> exactly the functionality desired at every location in MythTV.

Documentation on how to access these settings/features is where?