[mythtv-users] What if...?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 24 14:27:23 UTC 2012

On 09/20/2012 11:24 AM, Michael Watson wrote:
> I agree, that XBMC is leagues ahead of Myth in the Look/Feel/Usability
> of the Frontend.

FWIW, IMHO, there's a very good reason for this.

Remember the argument when dropping support for Xv was mentioned?  A lot
of people were thrown into a tizzy because, "I would have to buy new
hardware" (of course, not realizing that they could simply stick with
the older version of MythTV that actually supports their ancient
hardware).  So, instead of focusing on OpenGL painting/rendering to
allow us to create a better UI, we still have to continue to support Qt
painter (and all its limitations) and Xv (a 20+ year old API, making our
code feel like a 20-yr-old client).

Note, also, that XBMC requires GL-capable hardware (which means it no
longer supports the XBox hardware)...  They made the change and actually
moved into the present.

That said, the MythTV Look/Feel/Usability is /much/ better than most
people realize, thanks to the tireless efforts of several developers
(like Stuart Morgan, John Poet, Jonatan Lindblad, and others).  We just
don't have a lot of themes, and the majority of them don't take
advantage of the "what could be"--often because users get caught up in
complaints when "I don't like this new theme because ..." where the
reasoning boils down to "it's not what I'm used to in MythTV themes".

Sorry...  Just had to give my $0.02.

Mike