[mythtv-users] State of ALSA after suspend / MythTV sound init magic

Greg G. dargllun at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 23 12:49:05 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm seeing a strange thing on my Mythbuntu box. When it wakes up from
suspend (S3), ALSA (snd-hda-intel, NVidia GS8400) is not really fully
there, for instance:

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/eld#1.0
monitor_present		0
eld_valid		0

speaker-test -r 48000 -c 2 -D hw:0,3 shows no erros but produces no
sound. Now, when I watch any video/recording in MythTV, I _do_ get sound
and:

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/eld#1.0
monitor_present		1
eld_valid		1
monitor_name		DENON-AVAMP

connection_type		HDMI

So is it that MythTV does to get back the sound right way without
briefly starting the Myth Player? Is there any way to emulate the
initialization with tools such as amixer etc? So far I tried w/o success:

- rmmod/modprobe snd-hda-intel
- alsa force-reload

TIA
Greg