[mythtv-users] Transcoding DVB from MPEG2 to MP4 keeping the subtitles

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat Sep 22 14:42:26 UTC 2012

On 22/09/2012 15:33, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 9/22/2012 09:31, Ken Smith wrote:
>> Hi, I have previously saved space on some recordings I want to keep by
>> converting them to mp4.
>
> Be aware that in England, many of your recordings may already be in MP4
> (H.264) format, and that you will not save an appreciable amount of
> space by transcoding. Also, keep track of how much time your CPU is
> running full out transcoding as opposed to low power idle or standby, as
> well your own personal time investment, so you can weight it against the
> price of simply buying more hard drive space.

Depends on how you transcode. For a start, you can save some space just
in topping and tailing (plus removing adverts for some channels). But
more than that, you can save by transcoding to 720p25, or for interlaced
stuff to 720p50. I have a lot of 45min transcodes that are under 1GB,
and it's difficult to see the difference from the 4GB originals.

Cheers,
	Paul.