[mythtv-users] Installing Mythbuntu (backend) on a HP ProLiant MicroServer - N40L

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Sep 22 11:07:37 UTC 2012

On 22/09/12 11:36, Leigh Anthony wrote:
> On 21/09/2012, at 9:12 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> Plug a keyboard / monitor in to install initial OS. With keyboard /
>>> monitor still attached, log in, setup your static IP Address (all servers
>>> should have a static IP address).  After you have got your static ip
>>> address working, check that your internet is still working  and install
>>> openssh and mythtv-backend using (on ubuntu).
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo apt-get install
>>> mythtv-backend-master openssh-server sudo reboot
>>>
>>> This will install MythTV backend server, and all its required
>>> dependents, including mysql server.
>>>
>> Learned the hard way: *Before* you put it in the cupboard, test it to make
>> sure that (i) it will run without a keyboard (Usually a BIOS option: Halt
>> on all except keyboard) and (ii) it will run without a monitor attached!
>>
>> I found that Intel video chipsets are particularly difficult in the second
>> respect. What I have ended up doing is forcing the 'Vesa' driver in
>> xorg.conf which gets round that problem. When it's in the cupboard, you
>> won't want to connect directly to it with a screen and keyboard, will you?
>> If you have to, for diagnostic reasons, the Vesa driver is perfecly
>> adequate for use in any case.
>
> You could also put in a serial port, though getting a mobile device with a
> serial port these days is tricky.
>
> Make sure you can attach a screen easily if you need to at a later date.  My
> server is in the garage and taking a screen out there is a bit of a pain!
>
> Most things (system admin) can be done from the command line, but if you have
> an X11 (usually Linux or Mac but Windows can have software added to do it)
> host with a screen you can run ssh.
>
> "ssh user at host" will give you a commandline, but "ssh -X user at headlessHost"
> will allow you to run graphical applications on the remote headless host but
> with a local display, which is far better than vnc.
>
> Just as a note, "putty" on windows will not give you graphical application
> support - you need something like cygwin (free) or Reflection/X (not free).

(Fixed top quoting)

The *entire* point of my note is that *none* of what you have suggested will
work if the box won't boot, and it won't boot under certain conditions as I have
described above.

My server boxes are all accessed via "ssh -Y user at headlesshost". First of all
the box has to have booted up properly in the first place - without keyboard and
screen.

--

Mike Perkins