[mythtv-users] OT: Acer Aspire Revo Custom Power Button

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 17:48:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 7:16 AM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> > On 20/09/12 21:46, MacNean Tyrrell wrote:

> magic

> >> USB stick, meaning I have an image for my frontends that if something
> >> happens to the OS (hasn't happened in 7 years) that I can just copy
> image
> >> to new/old stick and be back up and running in minutes.  And all my
> >> frontends are never shutdown gracefully.
> >>
> > That's still no reason for not shutting down a front end properly. One of
> > the main reasons you might want to do that is to *tell the backend that
> the
> > front end is no longer running*. The back end holds data related to the
> > frontends that are connected to it, and these will be released at a
> proper
> > power-down of the front end.
> >
> > You might find, if you don't do that, that certain resources aren't
> > available the next time you use that front end, since the back end
> considers
> > them to be already/still in use.
> >
> > There is information written to the database by the backend at frontend
> > shutdown which will be missed if you just chop it. Playlists in
> mythmusic is
> > one recent example mentioned of such data.
> >

 > --
> >
> > Mike Perkins

> MacNean:
>
> I guess the confusion started when you initially said you  wanted to
> "power down with unplugged".  All machines will turn off if you
> disconnect the mains, but "power down", I think, suggests that you
> were looking for a graceful close to the file system.  If you are
> happy with just removing power and leaving the file system in whatever
> state it was in, have a good time (though, as was pointed out above,
> your backend may not be happy).
>
> FYI, my Revo has the bios option of "Bios|Power Management|Restore on
> AC Power Loss" to "on".
>
> George
> _

Yes I didn't speak/type correctly. But my frontend's aren't MythTV
frontends, I prefer XBMC, but I have mythTV backend servers.  So not sure
if the same writing data into the database.  Anyways, I do try to use the
shutdown command with the remote, sometimes don't remember and just pull
the plug on AppleTV or w/e.  My main concern when I started this topic was
startup on power insertion, not really power down.   Not going to go more
into it.   Anyways, TY to the people who got me the BIOS settings for it.

 I've ordered it, $20.  So we'll see if I can figure something out for
heatsink/fan from the junk laptops my father for some reason keeps, and
some sort of case.  Appreciate the responses.

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell