[mythtv-users] Backend/Frontend hardware (new system)

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 09:22:51 UTC 2012

On 19/09/2012 01:35, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The android frontends are all (I believe) based on the services api,
>> which transcodes to h264 - that takes quite a grunty processor. My
>> lowly sempron certainly cannot do it - or maybe it's the lowly 1G ram.
>> Anyway if you are going to heavily use the services api, don't expect
>> a lowly back end to cope IMHO.
> True today.  I have this hope that in some future time the transcoding
> might be able to be done on the GPU (Intel has a H.264 encoder on
> newer processors, nVidia with NVENC on Kepler, and AMD with their
> Video Codec Engine), reducing the processor "gruntiness" required.
Last night I ordered a HP ProLiant MicroServer - N40L
I also ordered 8Gb of memory to add into it and a 2TB hard drive.

My intention is for this machine to be my network server and music
server. I am also going to try to get the MyhtTV backend to run on there.

I can then use my old power hungry tank (in a different room) as a
frontend. Down the line, I'll hope to buy buy an attractive silent unit
(revo?) that can sit in the front room.

We'll see how it all goes.

Thanks for all of the feedback!
Damian