[mythtv-users] What if...?

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu Sep 20 15:24:41 UTC 2012

On 21/09/2012 1:07 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm one of the biggest advocates of "opening up" Myth's content to other
>> media players... I use Plex, XBMC, Orb, and who knows what else all in an
>> effort to have my media available wherever I want, whenever I want. But when
>> I'm at home, nothing beats the usability of the Myth FE. Sure it can be
>> buggy, and maybe kludgy at times, but it's by far the best way to browse and
>> play all of my recordings.
> I think really that's the root of the problem.  People think "oh, I
> can just use XBMC or whatever uPNP client comes with my TV" instead of
> the MythTV frontend.  Then they realize they now have no way to browse
> the program guide, skip through commercials, see the extended metadata
> for a recording, or schedule a recording.
>
> Those tools are great for casual viewing of existing already recorded
> content, but they don't outright replace the functionality of
> MythFrontend.
>
> Not that something like Xbmc couldn't be extended to support all of
> Myth's protocols to do such things, but that certainly hasn't happened
> to date (and since it's been *years* now, I wouldn't be holding my
> breath).
>
> Devin

There is a PVR addon for XBMC that provides the ability to watch Live TV
via Myth, Create/Edit/Delete schedules, and view the EPG.

I agree, that XBMC is leagues ahead of Myth in the Look/Feel/Usability
of the Frontend.  The XBMC way of group all Movies together, weather
recorded or ripped from DVD I find excellent, the way it groups TV Shows
together by series is awesome, the way u scroll down the list of
recordings (sorted by recording date), select a show and see all your
recordings of that show is awesome.  It has better lookup of metadata

I think the question is better aimed at the other Frontend developers
(XBMC, Boxee, etc), that we would very much like full integration with
MythTV Backend