[mythtv-users] What if...?

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Thu Sep 20 15:07:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm one of the biggest advocates of "opening up" Myth's content to other
> media players... I use Plex, XBMC, Orb, and who knows what else all in an
> effort to have my media available wherever I want, whenever I want. But when
> I'm at home, nothing beats the usability of the Myth FE. Sure it can be
> buggy, and maybe kludgy at times, but it's by far the best way to browse and
> play all of my recordings.

I think really that's the root of the problem.  People think "oh, I
can just use XBMC or whatever uPNP client comes with my TV" instead of
the MythTV frontend.  Then they realize they now have no way to browse
the program guide, skip through commercials, see the extended metadata
for a recording, or schedule a recording.

Those tools are great for casual viewing of existing already recorded
content, but they don't outright replace the functionality of
MythFrontend.

Not that something like Xbmc couldn't be extended to support all of
Myth's protocols to do such things, but that certainly hasn't happened
to date (and since it's been *years* now, I wouldn't be holding my
breath).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs