[mythtv-users] Why does Myth need write access to my Videos SG?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 00:46:26 UTC 2012

My videos directory is an SMB share and it is intentionally read-only to my
various media servers. I noticed that during Mythtv-setup, Myth complained
that it couldn't write to this directory. Can somebody tell me what Myth
needs to write to in here?

Additionally I'm confused about the line in the wiki that says "External
Video Players (mplayer, xine, VLC) will *not work* with videos hosted on an
SG." - Does Myth actually modify the files in some way? This would be
catastrophic to me, as my videos are accessed by many different
applications.