[mythtv-users] Backend/Frontend hardware (new system)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Sep 18 17:43:24 UTC 2012

On 18/09/12 17:07, Damian wrote:
> On 18/09/2012 15:48, jedi wrote:

>> [deletia]

>>> Coal is not the only material used to generate power.  There are many
>>> others including Nuclear, Wind, Solar, and Water
>>>
>>> But, back to the original statement.  You do not need a new high priced
>>> machine to run Myth Frontend or Backend seperate or combined. You can do
>>> it quite happily on equipment that is 5+ Years old, for very little out
>>> lay.
>> One of my frontends is an 5 year old tower PC that was trailing edge
>> hardware 5 years ago. Bought it because it was cheap. It does fine though
>> because I put a good video card in it (nv430).
>>
>> I also recently dramatically improved the performance of a similar machine
>> by putting a nv8400 in it. A good video card can go a long way and a good
>> video card can be a relic itself.
>>
>> [deletia] _______________________________________________ mythtv-users
>
> I have an old Dell Precision 670 machine (was a high end CG animation
> workstation a few years ago) which I was initially planning to use as an
> 'always on' network server and MythTV FE/BE.
>
> There were 2 problems with this plan: 1) I found out that the machine can not
> take drives bigger than 300 Gig (probably a limit added because of it's high
> end nature .. they are very careful with the spec of these machines) 2) It's
> a complete power hog due to it having 2 separate processors in there.
>
> It's a noisy beast too.
>
> Maybe I can make do with it for the FE/BE system though?
>
> If I get something like a Netgear ReadyNAS (which I have just seen could have
> my Logitec music backend on it) to house a 2 TB hd, then I could just turn
> this old beast of a machine on when we actually want to watch something on
> the projector.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?
>
> It wouldn't feel right to keep this machine on 27/4, so is it possible for
> the machine to turn it's self on and off for scheduled recordings etc? How
> easy would something like that be to set up? Would it need specific
> hardware?
>
> And would it be possible to turn the machine on using something like an app
> on my iphone (to prevent walking through 3 rooms to press the power button)?
>
> That last one certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker. It would just make me
> feel a bit more like James Bond :-)

You might have problems with that idea. The problem that I found with a similar
beast was that the BIOS is pretty restricted... it wouldn't even let me boot
without a monitor connected, the disk had to be cable select and when netbooting
used a customized version of Etherboot that didn't talk to anything else I
had... and still required keyboard intervention to activate.

Good machine, but it's basically a doorstop.

--

Mike Perkins