[mythtv-users] Backend/Frontend hardware (new system)

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Sep 18 14:48:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:13:16PM +1000, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 18/09/2012 10:58 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> >On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Michael Watson
> ><michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

[deletia]

> >Or are you better to go with the lower power machine if you want to
> >look after the environment? We burn coal for electricity after all. I
> >simply don't know the right answer here! I doubt that any one answer
> >is "right".
>
> Coal is not the only material used to generate power.  There are
> many others including Nuclear, Wind, Solar, and Water
>
> But, back to the original statement.  You do not need a new high
> priced machine to run Myth Frontend or Backend seperate or combined.
> You can do it quite happily on equipment that is 5+ Years old, for
> very little out lay.

    One of my frontends is an 5 year old tower PC that was trailing
edge hardware 5 years ago. Bought it because it was cheap. It does
fine though because I put a good video card in it (nv430).

    I also recently dramatically improved the performance of a similar
machine by putting a nv8400 in it. A good video card can go a long way
and a good video card can be a relic itself.

[deletia]