[mythtv-users] Problems with the new Mythbuntu 25.25 theme

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Sep 15 15:01:01 UTC 2012

John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> says:
> You mean the workaround that requires changing the painter to
> opengl?  Yes that allows the fanart and preview images to show but
> if there is no coverart and no fanart the preview is not shown at
> first i.e. the preview does not show until a program is selected,
> deselected and then reselected.

All I can say is "It works for me" with the OpenGL painter on both
Linux and OS X. While most of my recordings have fan art some
don't. There is no link between the preview and the coverart; that is,
the preview should appear regardless of fan art status.

Are you using a non-Nvidia video card? People have reported that some
non-Nvidia cards don't run the OpenGL painter properly
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/514130#514130>
and later posts). My Linux frontend is seven years old. It hasn't been
possible to buy a new system that slow for about five years, but it
uses an Nvidia card and properly handles the OpenGL features the
current version of the Mythbuntu theme uses.

> Looking at it a bit more using the qt painter it seems that a
> program has to have fanart in order to display the preview

Again, there is no connection in the theme's code between the preview
and fan art. I interpret
<URL:http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10256#comment:2> to mean that
the Qt painter is incompatible with the 0.25 animation
functionality. Those who cannot run the OpenGL painter will have to
revert to the 25.24 or 26.8 versions of the theme.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID array
Backend:		Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 9.3TB in JBOD