[mythtv-users] MythTV newbie questions

ohaya at cox.net ohaya at cox.net
Sat Sep 15 14:25:38 UTC 2012

---- Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Once I had established the tuner was
> >> working, I wanted to use the workstation as only a frontend, so I
> >> uninstalled mythtvbackend.
> >
> > See, you're thinking logically. Stop that. ;) Mythtv likes to have the
> > FE *and* BE installed on *every* machine. On the machines you want to
> > be FEs, you just don't run the BE executable. On machines you want to
> > be BEs, you just don't run the FE executable.
>
> This just isn't true at all.  I don't have the BE installed on any of
> my FE only systems and I haven't had any problems.
>
> Use a text editor to take a look at the file:
>
> /home/nickj/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>
> and make sure it has the settings you want.
>
> Eric

Hi,

Apologies for jumping in...

I'm a newbie, just having installed Mythbuntu (with both backend and frontend) earlier this week, and then a 2nd machine with Mythbuntu with only a frontend this morning, and can confirm that at least with .25, the installer gives you a choice to install only the frontend.  I think that when you do that frontend-only installation, it checks (discovers/looks for) a backend and also asks for info for connecting the to Mysql on the backend.

Jim