[mythtv-users] HD-PVR or something else?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Sep 14 19:49:44 UTC 2012

On 9/14/12 10:31 AM, Joe Hickey wrote:
> How is the current state of HD-PVR support?  As I understand these
> devices have been somewhat tricky to get working reliably, and some
> people even went so far as to connect them to a remote-control power
> module so they could automatically reboot them once a day.  Is that
> still the case?  Are there any other options for analog HD capture
> that are more stable?
I had serious misgivings about jumping on board with the HD-PVR, but
I've been pleasantly surprised. After initial setup problems, I have had
no issues with it.

I am still using the older firmware that came on the device, since my
kernel is 2.6.x and lacks the newer module needed to communicate
correctly with the newest firmware.

I looked and looked for other options, but while there are other HD
capture cards and dongles, there is nothing else that also captures HD
audio and has Linux drivers. If you definitely need to use a STB for
tuning (i.e., you can't use something like the HDHomerun or Ceton), then
the PVR is really the only option without any audio degradation.

Also, it's worth noting that the "Gaming Edition" of the PVR is
sometimes available at a much cheaper price than the normal one, and it
is functionally identical.