[mythtv-users] My falling out with comcast: they're "banning" direct connections

Scot Kreienkamp skreien at wcnet.org
Fri Sep 14 15:04:58 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David Engel
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 10:19 AM
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] My falling out with comcast: they're "banning"
direct connections

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:12:49PM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> I'm also on Knology Cable and only recently upgraded to Digital Cable.
> I've been using my HDHR Prime to record most of the channels except
> for the analog ones, where I need to use my old PVR-500.  I can't
> record the various HD non-premium channels, either.  It's better than
> Time-Warner Cable which locked up every channel except for the local ones.
>
> Please excuse the elementary question, but what other methods would
> you use to record the non-premium HD channels?  Would it involve using
> a blaster, a set-top box and some other type of recorder?

I use the Hauppauge HD-PVR to record from all channels.  I use firewire to
change the channel on the cable TV box, and analog component out of the
cable TV box into the HD-PVR.  Works very well.  I have Time Warner so
that's really my only option.  I have an old HDHomerun that I have hooked up
to an antenna for all my locals.  I only use the HD-PVR and cable tuner for
channels I can't get over the air.