[mythtv-users] No network: no frontend

Bob Long bob at oblong.com.au
Fri Sep 14 09:12:53 UTC 2012

Michael Watson wrote,

> What OS / Distribution?

Sorry. Ubuntu 12.04.

> I know Ubuntu in default setup, uses Network Manager to start wireless
> networks, and thus the wireless network does not start until the user
> has logged in, thus the backend will not be listening on the wireless as
> it was not available when it started.   You can configure the wireless
> in /etc/network/interfaces so it comes up when computer is booted.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo#Adding_it_to_.2BAC8-etc.2BAC8-network.2BAC8-interfaces

Auto login, and wireless normally starts automatically, too. So
normally, no problem. But sometimes (I think the router is dodgy)
wireless drops out and even though it's static IP, when that happens
there is no active IP address. In this case, I'll be addressing the
router issue.

But that lead me to wonder, in general, if MythTV can be made to run
standalone with no network connection. Others have suggested using
localhost/127.0.0.1, but I've not tried that. (I know that would defeat
the many advantages of MythTV with multiple frontends, remote access, etc.)

--
Bob Long