[mythtv-users] New blue-abstract theme 1.8

Robert Siebert trebor_s at web.de
Fri Sep 14 07:40:01 UTC 2012

Am 14.09.2012 09:19, schrieb Joseph Fry:

>> Hi everybody,

I just wanted to announce on the mailing list that a new version of the
blue-abstract theme is out.
>> It has undergone a major rewrite. There
were tons of changes, which can be seen in the changelog [1] or on
github [2].

>> Check out the screenshots on the wiki [3].

Please tell me if you find some improvements or issues.

> One think
I've noticed that bugs me... and it's likely my system more than
anything... but navigating around the video gallery causes some major
flickering.

> Every time I move to a new video it redraws every
cover on the screen... first displaying the default image you set, then
drawing the cover on top.... sure it happens almost instantly, but it
causes the whole screen to flicker so much that I'm afraid I'll give my
wife a seizure if I move around to fast.

> I don't remember it doing
this on the previous version, and now that I've upgraded I can't revert
back to confirm. I believe that the last version had some sort of cursor
while this version 'zooms' into the cover... I suspect that's what is
causing the redraws.

> I am glad you got rid of the background
images in the gallery view... they were always too slow to load and hurt
the 'smooth' factor, but this constant redrawing is far more annoying.

> I have plenty of RAM free (300MB), and even moving around as fast
as I can doesn't push my CPU above 30%. It could be because I run
diskless (iscsi) which may mean added latency to load the images (but
I'd assume they'd be in RAM after a pass through all the videos).

Anyway... it's still my favorite theme by a large margin, but I would
really appreciate any tips on how to resolve this one little thing.

> A couple of minor things, since your asking for feedback (a lot of
this is probably out of your control):

> - The date/time area at the
top is too narrow to fit a long date format (mine currently says "Fri 14
Sep, 3:01 am", and fits, but it wouldn't if it were "Thu 23 Sep, 12:00
am" due to the larger letters). Great use of that screen real estate by
the way, I love it.

> - The background image when the "Watch Videos"
menu item is selected is considerably brighter (bright wall in bg) than
other menu option backgrounds... draws my attention away from the menu
every time I move past it.

> - No background on the "Watch a Disk",
"plugins", or "Advanced" menu options when using the "Media Center Menu
Theme". there are others, but those are the only ones on the main menu
missing a background image.

> - the default cover image is the same
for folders as it is for videos... not sure if it can be changed, but it
would be nice.

> - the background image flickers when browsing
through episodes of a show on the Watch recordings screen... probably
nothing you can do about it, but if the background image stays the same,
why must it draw the blue background then redraw the artwork again
causing the flash of blue every time I scroll up or down the list?

THANKS AGAIN FOR A GREAT THEME!

Hi Joseph,

thanks for the information. I have noted the issues regarding

 	*
date width
 	* video background image too bright
 	* missing background
image in watch disc
 	* folder cover image in videos

and will adress
them in the next release. I have also noticed that the channel icon
background image is too showing when the actual channel icon is visible
and has transparency. I'll also fix that.

I also have this flickerung
when moving around, but I have this already since changing from 0.24 to
0.25. I don't believe ot has something to do with the theme but with the
image drawing or caching from MythTV itself. Maybe some developers read
this and know something about it.

Best regards

Robert

Links:
------
[1]
ftp://miroku.no-ip.com/blue-abstract-wide_changelog
[2]
https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/blue-abstract-wide
[3]
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Blue_Abstract_Theme