[mythtv-users] ATSC Unwatchable

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Sep 14 03:32:22 UTC 2012

> I’m aware of how hypervisors operate.

I wasn't trying to be condescending.  Your experience running mythtv
alongside Virtualbox is vastly different than using a bare metal hypervisor.

> I wasn’t sure if the same PCI latency COULD be induced by running a
> hypervisor inside the base OS as opposed to running the OS on the
> hypervisor, which is why I asked for clarification.  Each
> hypervisor/platform have their own intricacies, and I’m not familiar with
> Xen.  I also don’t want to run into potential problems in the future with
> my own rig.  ****
>
> **

Because a type 2 hypervisor is essentially a program running on a bare
metal OS, the hypervisor itself shouldn't cause latency in the host OS (the
"base os").  Of course the hypervisor will impact the performance of the
host OS... but it shouldnt add any PCI latency.  The host OS is the only
one that can directly access PCI devices... so it should gets all the time
it needs.  I hope I explained that clearly?