[mythtv-users] My falling out with comcast: they're "banning" direct connections

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Fri Sep 14 03:12:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM, F.B. Parker <fbp.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> The tech called his support and they said they were required by those
> stations to block recording of those stations. Which I think is probably
> not totally true because I've read that Charter allows recording of the
> non-premium HD digital channels. But whatever, there are other methods that
> do a reasonably good job of getting that content into my mythbox, though I
> would obviously prefer to use the hdhr prime.

I'm also on Knology Cable and only recently upgraded to Digital Cable.
I've been using my HDHR Prime to record most of the channels except for the
analog ones, where I need to use my old PVR-500.  I can't record the
various HD non-premium channels, either.  It's better than Time-Warner
Cable which locked up every channel except for the local ones.

Please excuse the elementary question, but what other methods would you use
to record the non-premium HD channels?  Would it involve using a blaster, a
set-top box and some other type of recorder?

Thanks!
Jerry