[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 12.04 and sleep

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Sep 14 02:38:32 UTC 2012

>  > On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com <mailto:
>> joe at thefrys.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     >>
>>     >> How are your 10.04 and 11.10 machines configured to sleep.  I
>>     know that
>>     >> mythtv will pause the idle timer on Xscreensaver, but
>>     xscreensaver can't
>>     >> make my machine actually go to sleep, just the display.
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > Oops.  I assumed you meant blanking the display!  Sorry for the
>>     confusion.
>>
>>     You have checked out the wiki article right?
>>     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Putting_mythfrontend_to_sleep<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Putting_mythfrontend_to_sleep>
>>

>> Many times.  However it doesn't cover sleeping automatically when the
>> system is idle.  My family is notorious for pausing a show and walking away
>> for hours.  I want the system to wait 5 minutes, display my screensaver for
>> 15 minutes, then go to sleep.  I can get the screensaver working no
>> problem.  I can manually suspend, both from a menu option and from a button
>> on my remote. And I can wake from remote.  But I cannot get the system to
>> suspend when left idle.
>>
>> I can get the system to suspend automatically, but it does it even when I
>> am watching something because mythtv does not deactivate the
>> xfce4-power-manager when watching something.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is creating some sort of cron script that
>> checks the xscreensaver status every few minutes and when it has been
>> active for a certain amount of time it kicks off a dbus command to suspend
>> the system.
>>
>> I found a pretty good script here I may be able to adapt:
>> http://www.mentby.com/Group/**mythtv-users/how-to-make-idle-**
>> frontend-exit.html<http://www.mentby.com/Group/mythtv-users/how-to-make-idle-frontend-exit.html>but it seems like suspending on idle should be far simpler to implement
>> than this.  Surely I'm not the only person doing this.
>>

> I had the same problem, that is why I wrote the python script you mention
> in the link.  My system is a bit more complicated, as my frontend's are
> also slave backends to assist in commercial flagging, metadata lookups
> whilst they are on.  The python script can be simplified if you are only
> running a frontend, but it will need to be run via cron periodically to
> check the xscreensaver status.  Let me know, and I am happy to strip it
> down for you for frontend use, but will run via crontab for frontend only
> as it is.
>
> I did at one point create a "screensaver" stub that performed executed a
> real screen saver, waited for a defined period and shutdown the frontend,
> but I found this a bit of a kludge, and more difficult to setup.
>
> MythWelcome can shutdown frontend, but you have to exit the frontend for
> it to work, as of 0.25 (I think), there is suppose to be frontend idle
> [...]
Thanks for your script... I used it as a reference when I used mine.  My
script is much simpler, and takes advantage of the fact that mythfrontend
will disable xscreensaver during playback.  It's not suitable for a
combined BE/FE, but it meets my needs really well.  I just have it start at
boot in my session manager.  The script is here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sleep(Suspend)_When_Idle