[mythtv-users] No network: no frontend

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Fri Sep 14 02:02:18 UTC 2012

On 13/09/2012 9:50 PM, Bob Long wrote:
> MythTV Version : v0.25.2-19-gcf06841
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
>
> Combined backend/frontend.
>
> My understanding was that a MythTV box can (should?) be configured so
> that its network address is static, and that that IP address be told
> to the backend and to the frontend.
>
> However, if the network for some reason can't connect (in my case, a
> wireless connection to the router), then the frontend won't start in
> the normal manner, and I'm presented with the language selection menu
> of the frontend. Attempting to cancel that just restarts the frontend
> and it returns to that menu.
>
> Is there an easy way around that (assuming that for some reason the
> network connection can't be quickly re-established, eg., router
> failure)? Or have I got the configuration wrong? In other words, must
> MythTV have a working network connection for operation?
>
> Thanks.

What OS / Distribution?

I know Ubuntu in default setup, uses Network Manager to start wireless
networks, and thus the wireless network does not start until the user
has logged in, thus the backend will not be listening on the wireless as
it was not available when it started.   You can configure the wireless
in /etc/network/interfaces so it comes up when computer is booted.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo#Adding_it_to_.2BAC8-etc.2BAC8-network.2BAC8-interfaces