[mythtv-users] My falling out with comcast: they're "banning" direct connections

F.B. Parker fbp.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 19:09:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Wes Hardaker <wjhns176 at hardakers.net>wrote:

>   "I'm sorry sir, we're banning that all across the entire united
>   states.  You must use either a settop box or a D2A converter.  Would
>   you like us to send you D2A converters?"

Hmmm...

Thanks for the heads-up. I had been thinking about switching to comcast. I
guess I won't now. My only cable company choices where I live are comcast
and knology. The knology tech came out a couple of weeks ago and installed
a cablecard in my hdhr prime, which I bought so I could get rid of the
crappy knology hd dvr/set-top box.

It worked fine for a few of the standard def digital channels but would not
work with the HD digital channels I'm interested in (SPEED, ESPN,
Discovery, etc.) So I assume that the cci flags aren't set to "copy
freely". The tech didn't even know what that means.

The tech called his support and they said they were required by those
stations to block recording of those stations. Which I think is probably
not totally true because I've read that Charter allows recording of the
non-premium HD digital channels. But whatever, there are other methods that
do a reasonably good job of getting that content into my mythbox, though I
would obviously prefer to use the hdhr prime.

-FBP