[mythtv-users] No network: no frontend

Adrian Saul sgtbundy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:09:48 UTC 2012

On 13/09/2012 9:50 PM, Bob Long wrote:
> MythTV Version : v0.25.2-19-gcf06841
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
>
> Combined backend/frontend.
>
> My understanding was that a MythTV box can (should?) be configured so
> that its network address is static, and that that IP address be told
> to the backend and to the frontend.
>
> However, if the network for some reason can't connect (in my case, a
> wireless connection to the router), then the frontend won't start in
> the normal manner, and I'm presented with the language selection menu
> of the frontend. Attempting to cancel that just restarts the frontend
> and it returns to that menu.
>
> Is there an easy way around that (assuming that for some reason the
> network connection can't be quickly re-established, eg., router
> failure)? Or have I got the configuration wrong? In other words, must
> MythTV have a working network connection for operation?
>
> Thanks.

If you look at the upstart configuration, it depends on the non loopback
network being up for the backend service to start:

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started
udev-finish)

I believe the idea is to ensure that the backend is listening on all
interfaces when it starts so that remote clients can connect.
I do recall some workaround is to just configure a dummy static eth0
interface that always comes up so the script can get on with it, or you
could hack that section out of the upstart config
(/etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf).