[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 12.04 and sleep

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 13 04:56:30 UTC 2012

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

>  >>
> >> How are your 10.04 and 11.10 machines configured to sleep.  I know that
> >> mythtv will pause the idle timer on Xscreensaver, but xscreensaver can't
> >> make my machine actually go to sleep, just the display.
> >

> > Oops.  I assumed you meant blanking the display!  Sorry for the
> confusion.
>
> You have checked out the wiki article right?
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Putting_mythfrontend_to_sleep

Many times.  However it doesn't cover sleeping automatically when the
system is idle.  My family is notorious for pausing a show and walking away
for hours.  I want the system to wait 5 minutes, display my screensaver for
15 minutes, then go to sleep.  I can get the screensaver working no
problem.  I can manually suspend, both from a menu option and from a button
on my remote. And I can wake from remote.  But I cannot get the system to
suspend when left idle.

I can get the system to suspend automatically, but it does it even when I
am watching something because mythtv does not deactivate the
xfce4-power-manager when watching something.

The only thing I can think of is creating some sort of cron script that
checks the xscreensaver status every few minutes and when it has been
active for a certain amount of time it kicks off a dbus command to suspend
the system.

I found a pretty good script here I may be able to adapt:
http://www.mentby.com/Group/mythtv-users/how-to-make-idle-frontend-exit.html
but
it seems like suspending on idle should be far simpler to implement than
this.  Surely I'm not the only person doing this.