[mythtv-users] Question about Auto-expire

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:57:46 UTC 2012

On 9/12/2012 12:46 PM, Robert Dege wrote:

> I would like to record and keep 20 episodes of Sesame Street on my
> mythbox at all times.  As new episodes are recorded, old episodes can
> be deleted.
>
> I tried to set this up in the Recording Schedule by enabling
> auto-expire, and setting "No. of recordings to keep" to 20. However,
> based on the documentation, auto-expire works primarily on disk space
> usage.  Plus, once 20 episodes of the show have been recorded, mythtv
> won't record anymore until I manually delete the old episodes.
>
> Am I missing something?  Is it possible to implement this setup?

It has nothing to do with available disk space.
In the recording rule below where you set the number of recordings to
keep there is the option "Don't record if this would exceed ..." or
"Delete Oldest recording".
Set the number to keep at 20 and "Delete oldest" and it will maintain 20
episodes for you.