[mythtv-users] HushTechnologies Case - new motherboard/cpu advice for FE (quite specific)

rsh1k roland.sh1000 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 07:48:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM, alessandro campobassi
<alessandro.campobassi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to all for the advice, I ordered the small bits I needed from
> Amazon.fr today....
> Now just gotta punch a hole in the wall to send my dual satellite
> feeds/cables down to the basement. Lucky it's only a 2-3 metre length
> as the TV room is right above the room where the BE will be! :)
>
> Cheers folks!

I realize you have already ordered your new parts and transferred the
video card...   but did you double check the graphics drivers and all
the NVIDIA-specific xorg.conf tweaks on your initial setup?    Which
driver are you using?  (Nouveau?  nv?  the proprietary driver?)

Your original build should be somewhat comparable to my combined FE/BE
 (Athlon XP 2800+, AGP low-end fanless NVIDIA 6200, 2GB system RAM),
which plays OTA HD on a 1080P display perfectly fine, without pegging
the CPU either.

Back when I was setting it up, I think I doubled if not tripled the
OpenGL performance by tweaking the settings and changing drivers.
There was a  *massive* difference between the default setup that
"worked", and the optimized setup I ended with...

- rsh1k