[mythtv-users] A few 0.25 mythfilldatabase questions

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:58:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Frans Grotepass <grotepass at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > No, nothing like that.  Just a few things like our blender and an
>> > electric carving knife we have.
>>
>> Are you saying that you get those errors when commflagging a
>> previously recorded file and you are using the blender during the
>> commflagging (and you were not blending during the recording)?
>> Since that commflagging is (nominally) all inside the PC using digital
>> paths, then that would suggest the PC itself is suspect (perhaps
>> the PC power supply(*), or your motherboard has "bad cap"
>> syndrome), or you have one of those Hobart industrial blenders
>> than can blend a small car (and requires a carefully designed
>> power distribution system, including proper grounding, to avoid
>> blacking out the neighborhood).
>>
>> Gary
>>
> Those motors can cause quite a bit of interference. The brushes can form
> sparks during rotation. On some power drills one can see the brushes
> sparking.

Exactly...the sparks create RF signals.  It's a real common problem
with OTA...short of avoiding all appliances with motors, there's not
much you can do.  In any case, my point is that the mpeg corruption
from this sort of interference with digital recordings can cause
ffmpeg (during either playback of comflagging) to spew TONs of errors.
 As far as I've seen, there's no way to suppress that.  If anyone
knows how I'd like to know.

My original reason for these questions goes to all the logging changes
in 0.25, such as the default to log to the database.

Tom