[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Glenn Harris gharris at eklo.com
Tue Sep 11 20:56:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> While streaming video to my phone or tablet sounds wonderful... its not
> that important to me, if I'm at home I can watch TV/Movies on my, much
> larger, TV.  Now if my kids could easily preload video on their tablets for
> viewing while away from home AND use it to watch shows at home... now it
> becomes far more valuable!

I use Emit for this. https://www.emitapp.com/
It does HLS and/or RTSP streaming depending on your client (there are apps
for android, ios, and web) as well as pre-encoding and downloading.
You just point it at your media directory and it goes from there - which
means there is no direct mythtv support. But using mythlink  (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl) makes it pretty close. It is a good
workaround until all the hls stuff in myth finishes getting awesome(r).

Note that it requires yet another piece of software running as a server.
And it is pretty picky about ffmpeg versions. I struggled getting it set up
correctly until I punted and set up a chroot for it and followed the
directions in the readme.

--Glenn