[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Tue Sep 11 17:44:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>> It would still be a multi-hour process (in which the android client
>> would need to keep a connection to the backend for the entire time).
>
> Probably not.  MythExport jobs go in the job queue.  They don't start
> until other things in the queue get done.  If there are three
> commercial scanning jobs pending, the transcode may not begin for an
> hour.  That's what leads to the multi-hour wait in some cases.
>
> With http live streaming, my understand is that this starts immediately.
>
> Basically, I'd like to see MythTV for Android use the same mechanism
> it currently uses to pull the recording over, but rather than feed the
> data to BS Player or whatever, just save it to local storage.  I
> supposed this could be done externally to MythTV for Android by
> writing another app that appears to be a video player but saves the
> data to storage instead, but that seems sort of silly.
>
> Eric

This would probably work clunky at best. You would need to initiate
the transcode, at which point it would transcode the file. You'll need
a pretty powerful backend machine to transcode HD material in real
time (or faster) so you'll looking at waiting around the length of the
video (or longer) before you can start downloading (Unless you want to
keep the connection alive on your android device, goodbye battery
life). Once you start downloading, you then have to DL a large file
(likely still > 1GB) which shouldn't take terribly long, but it's
still a multistep process.

So a user must
1) Select "convert video for this device"
2) Wait for conversion
3) Download recording to device
4) Somehow select "Play local video" from the interface rather than
attempt to connect to the backend.