[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Zero Byte Recording but work fine through HDHomeRun GUI

MonkeyPet monkeypet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:18:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My mythTV setup includes a couple of HDHomeRun tuners.  They are
> generally flawless in their operation, providing all channels and
> never skipping a beat...until recently.
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I applied all security updates to my BE,
> including a mythbuntu packaged mythTV update and a new kernel and did
> a reboot.  Everything seemed fine until I noticed later that week that
> all of the subsequent recordings resulted in a zero byte file.  I
> checked the tuners were working, using the HDHomeRun Config GUI tool
> and viewing streams on all of the tuners.  I applied a further mythTV
> update (not requiring a reboot) and everything came good.  Despite
> Google, trac and mailing list searches turning up nothing, I blamed
> the bug on mythTV and decided it had been resolved in the second
> update.
>
> Last night I also did a hardware upgrade to the BE machine, requiring
> it to be shutdown.  Since it was being shutdown, I decided to apply
> all new updates, including a new kernel, but elected *not* to update
> the mythTV packages from mythbuntu.  Afterwards, I noticed that some
> of the nights recordings from just one of the HDHomeRuns had resulted
> in zero byte files.  A quick look at the HDHome Config GUI showed that
> all the tuners were capable of tuning and displaying a program.  I
> then restarted the backend and it seemed that all tuners were again
> working fine.
>
> On both occasions, one (or both) actions of using the HDHomeRun Config
> GUI or restarting the BE resulted in everything coming good.
>
> Some pertinent information:
> - MythTV is configured to use the HDHomeRun tuners via their device ID.
> - My BE is also the DHCP server in the network, and it assigns static
> IPs to the HDHomeRuns.  (My modem also acts as a DHCP server and it is
> a bit of a race condition as to which DHCP server responds when a DHCP
> lease is required though investigations have shown that the BE is much
> more likely to respond to DHCP requests).

Why the heck would you have two DHCP servers on your network?  Solve this
problem first.

I remember mythtv didn't play nice when the HDHR IP address changes while
mythbackend is still running.  My situation was that mythbackend started up
prior to the HDHR obtaining a DHCP, so strangeness would happen.  I had to
modify the init scripts to wait for the HDHR networking to stabilize before
mythbackend starting.  However, this was several months back using 0.24.  I
am not sure if any recent changes went into this area.