[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Sep 10 19:52:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Daniel Frey <dmfrey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Programs are streamed on demand from the backend, so I am not sure
>> how you would be able to use the app to watch programs offline.  I would
>> recommend MythExport which allows you to transcode the recordings down to a
>> smaller format and can be access via rss and a podcatcher to get the
>> programs locally on your phone/tablet.
>
> It would be more convenient to be able to select a program to download
> for later viewing from within MythTV for Android than it currently is
> to use MythExport.
>
> MythExport is a two step process.  First you queue a program to be
> exported, then some time later (possibly hours) it appears in your
> podcast list at which point you have to go and download it.  A MythTV
> Android client that could download a compatible version in one step
> would be a huge usability win even if this download took a long time.
>
> Eric

It would still be a multi-hour process (in which the android client
would need to keep a connection to the backend for the entire time).
The time it takes isn't frontend dependent, it's the amount of time
the backend takes to transcode your video into something that your
frontend can play. If you don't transcode it at all, it might make
things a little easier, but you'll suffer needing large disk space on
the device for storage.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos