[mythtv-users] Remote woes

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Sep 10 18:32:12 UTC 2012

I have an older SMK eHome MCE reciever (
http://www.hauppauge.com/images/mce_remote_with_beanbag_large.jpg) that
works pretty well for almost every remote I've thrown at it... but I have
run into a snag.

First of all, I am using a Sony Remote RM-VLZ620 and learning all the
buttons off the MCE remote... this works nearly flawlessly.  The only flaw
is that repeated keypresses are slow (about 1/2 the speed of the MCE
remote) so scrolling long lists is painful... this is a problem I have
found on almost all remotes when learning codes, something in the way most
remotes store or recall the signal for learned buttons.

As a work around for the repeated keypreses, I simply chose not to program
the directional and page+/page- keys and use the native Sony codes to
control those functions... repeated key presses are very fast and
responsive.  Unfortunately this had a flaw of it's own and I can't figure
it out.

Essentially, the remote stops repeating after just a few iterations.  So if
I press and hold one of the native (not learned) buttons, IRW will start
showing the repeats then just stop after a few for no apparent reason.
 Sometimes it will work as expected and just keep repeating indefinitely,
other times it will stop then resume after a second just to stop again
after a few more repeats, but most of the time I get 8 or so repeats and it
just stops dead until I release and repress the button.

I suspect that there is some sort of buffer in the eHome transciever that
is filling up due to the rapid rate that the Sony signals are coming
through (repeats are about 4 times faster than the MCE remote), but I'm not
sure.  I have done numerous 'irrecord' hoping it was just some parameter
out of whack, but it doesn't appear to be the case.  I was always under the
impression that these recievers would work with almost any remote control
codes, but apparently not as reliably as I hoped.

Does anyone know if this is the fault of my receiver, the mceusb driver, or
something else.  I'd hate to replace the receiver just to find that I have
the same problem on the next one.  I welcome any thoughts.