[mythtv-users] DVB-T card

John rwc at bestpond.com
Sun Sep 9 09:31:32 UTC 2012

Hi Vincent,

Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> On 9/9/12, John <rwc at bestpond.com> wrote:
>
>> However I switched to using  USB cards the Asus  My Cinema U3100 Mini, I
>> have a couple and they have been quite OK. More recently I discovered
>> the PS3 Playstation "PlayTV " available at good prices from Dick Smith
>> or JB Hi-Fi especially during sales.
>>
>> That has dual inbuilt tuners and uses the same driver as the Asus U3100
>> i.e. dvb-usb-dib0700 firmware. I have found them to just work out of the
>> box with my system, using openSUSE 12.1 & 12.2.
>>

> John, can I clarify a couple of things here:
> 1. are these PCI (PCIe, PCI-X) cards with USB bridges, like the old
> dvico dual 4 ?
The Winfast cards are PCI single tuners (I doubt if they are available
now)I am not familiar with the dvico they have tended to be a bit pricey
for my needs.

> 2. Do you just disassemble the playtv and insert them in your backend?

The playtv has the tuners encased and basically has a usb  and a TV
connector in a small box I simply plug the usb into a mythbox and
connect a tv cable to the socket. No dismantling at all. I might add
that I maximise the multiplex options so I can do several shows at once.

Cheers,
John

--
_