[mythtv-users] MythTV on Android

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Fri Sep 7 16:58:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On 12-09-06 09:03 AM, Daniel Frey wrote:
>> Unfortunately, Mythtv is very data intensive.
>
> All the more reason to defer loading of data which could potentially
> never be used.  Or load in the background.  If all I want to do when I
> start up is watch a recording, why do I need to wait for guide data to
> finish loading when that could happen in the background?  Certainly
> anything needing the data would need a "please wait..." activated.
>
>> Can you send me the stacktrace you are seeing when you received the NPE?
>
> I don't always get the NPE.  I do always get a "Unfortunately, MythTV
> for Android has stopped" every time I try to play a recording.
>
> Do the backend errors I pasted in my previous message bear any relation?
>
> If I do get the NPE, how do I get a/the stacktrace?
>
> Cheers,
> b.

I've been having some similar issues with the amount of data that is
returned from MythTV and have been talking with Captain_Murdoch on IRC
regarding ways to get more relevant data. There are two things that
may help here.

1) Using the services API to get show titles only, rather than all
information about every show. Unfortunately this functionality won't
be committed to trunk until after 0.26 has released.

2) Using GetFilteredRecordedList rather than GetRecordedList to pull
episode info about X number of a specific show.

IDK how the Android client does it now, so the above suggestions may
not help. They just helped me and aren't in the wiki page for the DVR
service.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos