[mythtv-users] Alternative to Silicondust HDHR3-6CC-2X3?

bhaskins bhaskins at chartermi.net
Thu Sep 6 17:15:51 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 09:49 AM, David Litchman wrote:
> On 9/6/2012 2:43 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>

>>                 I've been trying to order one of these, but no one
>>                 seems to have them
>>                 in stock, and one retailer told me that they're
>>                 discontinued. I could
>>                 get two of the three-tuner model, but I'd prefer one
>>                 piece of
>>                 equipment.  Any good alternatives?  Anyone know if
>>                 Silicondust working
>>                 on a replacement for this unit?
>>

>>             http://www.amazon.com/KG48348MR-Instant-Advanced-Precision-0-18-Ounce/dp/B000BKO6DG/
>>

>>             AIUI, it would be little different from the 6CC unit,
>>             save the
>>             additional power supply.  :)
>>

>>         The 6CC literally was two 3CC boards in a shared case. There
>>         were two network jacks, two cablecard slots, two coaxial
>>         inputs, two USB ports for tuning adatpers, two....
>>
>>         The only thing stopping someone from making their own is the
>>         warranty.
>>

>>     Well, if I'm going to get two units, is there any reason to get
>>     the 3CC over an InfiniTV USB?  I kind of like the idea of an
>>     ethernet interface but I'd be getting four tuners per unit rather
>>     than three with the Silicondust...
>>

>> I can think of a few reasons:
>>
>> 1. Cost... can typically find a HDHR Prime for about $129 if your
>> patient (woot, groupon, etc)
>> 2. Ethernet interface... arguably more reliable than
>> usb, infinitely more flexible as far as install options go.
>> 3. Ethernet interface... yeah, again... works great for a virtualized
>> backend if you choose to do that.
>> 4. Ethernet interface.... yep, one more... future proof (nearly)...
>> no underlying driver or hardware support (other than ethernet), very
>> unlikely to find a computer that can't use the HDHR in the next 20
>> years.  More likely to replace it for some sort of IPTV adapter
>> before then.
>> 5. Very Mythtv friendly manufacturer... the folks at Silicondust
>> actually contribute to the development of Mythtv to ensure support
>> and are very active in the support of the HDHR with Mythtv, even
>> dedicating entire sections in their forums to it.
>>
>> Item #5 is reason enough for me, Ceton doesn't even advertise that it
>> is compatible with Linux.
>>

> Thanks for the feedback, I actually already went and ordered two of
> the HDHR Prime 3CCs.  The price from Amazon was $129, guess I got
> lucky there.
>
> Now, obviously I'm going to have to split my coax connection, what's
> the best way to go about that?  Just a plain splitter, or is a
> powered/amplified one recommended?
Be careful here, I bought a power splitter and it actually caused the
loss of some channels.
One of which my wife likes to watch.
I had to pay to have the CCo come out and raise the power enough to
overcome the passive splitter losses.
Needless to say, this did not make me a bigger fan of the CCo.

There seems to me some wonderful and creative engineering going on here.
Some of the main channels are very fussy about the plumbing downstream
from the cable while
the junk channels would probably be OK using old speaker wire.