[mythtv-users] Anyone using VNC on CentOS 6?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Sep 5 19:23:16 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-05 9:30 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 9/4/2012 6:26 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> 1: Cygwin/X (on winXP SP3/32bit) in full XDMCP allows me to run
>> Mythfrontend on my Windows PC -- BUT I DO NOT use it to watch TV or
>> control the system more than editing library stuff. The machine this is
>> running on is a Master back-end only.
>
> Contradiction: if you're running mythfrontend, you're not a backend. And vice versa.

I'm not sure how you think that's a contradiction when (for example) LinHES can run in an all encapsulated "combined" system mode.
Any master backend can also run the frontend software. You can run a combined BE/FE system.

My current server will handle doing that (if I ran the FE from the console) -- however, my  point was that barring watching video, I can do anything I want from an XDMCP session or a remote X session both as a user and as root.

For example, it's a bit faster for me to manage my libraries using the X based frontend on the server where the storage is than via a remote frontend system.

So that's why I explained more precisely what programs I run and how I get them to the remote display.

  -Ben