[mythtv-users] deinterlacing 1080i content on 720 display

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 23:56:29 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Chris Bannister
<cbannister at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:57:10AM -0400, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>
>> Agreed.  If I hadn't got such a good deal on a GT440, I definitely would
>> have went with the lower powered, fanless, card.  I still may if the fan is
>> too loud on the GT440.
>
> Talking about cards, would a GT610 be ok? Or should one go for the
> GT630? I see, from where I am, that the GT640 is about twice the price
> as a GT630. :( I'm guessing I won't be getting twice the performance?

The line-up for the GT 600 series is as follows:
610 - a rebadged 520 - low power consumption, but weak compute power.
Likely underpowered for advanced 2x on 1080i content (though this is
subject to some debate)

620 - a rebadged 430 - higher power consumption and performance.  Runs
advanced 2x on 1080i content, but some people have noted occasional
hiccups in this operation mode

630 - a rebadged 440 (essentially a 430 with a slightly higher clock
rate).  I would expect this to run advanced 2x on 1080i content ok,
but I haven't actually seen anyone report on its performance on
Mythtv.  Joseph, how is it working for you?

640 - the ONLY 600 series in the GT line that is based on the new
Kepler chip.  I find this one tempting as it seems to have similar
power consumption to a 430 or 220, but more compute power.  I haven't
heard from anyone using this one with mythtv.  I'd really hope that it
can handle advanced 2x on 1080i.  Can anyone confirm?

Remember that this isn't gaming.  You don't really need twice the
performance.  You need enough performance for it to deinterlace the
content reasonably.  People like advanced 2x on vdpau because it
really seems to do the best job.  You could put in a really powerful
card, but it's a waste, as these cards cost more and also pull more
power.

-Greg