[mythtv-users] enhancing EIT data manually?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 3 16:07:56 UTC 2012

On 09/03/2012 11:44 AM, Martin MAURER wrote:
> I am using mythtv 0.25 with EIT channel data. My schedules are set like
> Record "The Mentalist" at any time on any channel. I have quite a few of
> those schedules.
> As we don't have high quality EIT data here the shows are often missing
> the subtitle information and the description differs between main
> broadcast and repetition in the night.
> Therefore mythtv fails to detect that the show is being broadcasted
> twice. In such cases I would like to manually add (ie copy) the subtitle
> information to the EIT collected data. I succeeded in adding the
> information to the database and it is now visible in "Upcoming
> recordings". Unfortunately the sceduler does not use this information
> and tries to record the show twice, so that it can't solve the conflicts
> where this should definitely possible in some cases.
>
> Is there a way to force the scheduler to reschedule these shows?

When EIT data collection is enabled in MythTV, the scheduler re-runs
every 5 minutes--and EIT will constantly overwrite any changes you make
to the data in the database.  Therefore, what you should be doing is
using something other than MythTV EIT data collection.

Specifically, what I'd suggest is to use the current EIT-to-XMLTV
processor (no idea which one is the one you're supposed to use these
days) to grab the EIT data, modify the XMLTV data as desired, then use
mythfilldatabase to insert that data into your database.  You can create
a script using, for example, the Python bindings to determine when is a
good time to do the EIT collection, then "check out" a tuner for use in
collecting the EIT data, then run mythfilldatabase.  With this approach,
you control not only when EIT collection and rescheduling is performed,
but also--through editing the content of the XMLTV data file--you can
control the information in the listings.

Mike