[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 10.04 program autostart????

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 23:56:52 UTC 2012

I hate to admit it, but for the life of me I have been unable to
fathom how mythfrontend (or when the appropriate setting is turned on,
mythwelcome) gets started on my MythBuntu 10.04 system.  I have
searched high and low on the system but have failed to find anything
that would cause init to start mythfrontend running as a lowly user,
not root.

I have searched the user home directory with:
# find ~ -type f -exec egrep -li 'mythfrontend|mythwelcome' {} \;
and /etc with:
# find /etc -type f -exec egrep -li 'mythfrontend|mythwelcome' {} \;
but no joy.
I know I changed the setting in /etc/mythtv/session-settings so
mythwelcome starts instead of mythfrontend, but I don't know if I ever
knew how mythfrontend got started with the --service switch so that it
reads the session-settings file in the first place.

Would somebody take pity on me and tell me how this magically happens?

Craig.