[mythtv-users] Encoder 2 and 4 never seem to be used

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 31 17:53:32 UTC 2012

fixed top posting

On 10/31/2012 01:43 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:
> On 31 Oct 2012 17:22, "Brian Phillips" wrote:
>> I have an HDHR3 (two-tuner model, not the prime).  I've set up mythbackend
>> to have 2 encoders / tuner (Max Recordings = 2).  On my mythweb backend
>> status, I see 4 encoders.
>>
>> However, I have shows scheduled on the same multiplex (4.1, 4.2) at the
>> same
>> time and they are using both tuners, rather than sticking with a single
>> tuner.
>>
>> Is there a setting I am missing?
> I think it might be that it only uses virtual tuners if forced to. Try
> recording three things at once and see if that does it.
>
> Or two and watch a live tv session on one of the tuned multiplexes

It will always use virtual tuners, if configured, before using 2
physical tuners for recordings off the same multiplex, unless the user
misconfigures his system--i.e. by using the broken ("alternating tuner
order") interpretation of the workaround/hack I gave for configuring
older versions of MythTV to use a separate physical tuner for Live TV.
If MythTV is not using the virtual tuners, there's a misconfiguration,
but since there are no settings for this (just configuration of the
capture cards), it likely means they were not properly set up.

The proper solution with current (0.26+) MythTV is to set the schedule
and Live TV orders properly (which apply on a per-physical-tuner
basis--which is much easier than the old hack, and more appropriate).
If you've ever attempted to apply the hack--whether you did it right or
wrong--I would recommend you Delete all capture cards and re-create them
and then re-connect inputs (since you're having problems with your
recording order).  Note that doing so will not delete video sources or
channels, so you won't have to rescan or anything (it's about a 2-min
job if you don't know what you're doing or about 30s if you do).

Even if you haven't attempted to apply the hack, it sounds like a Delete
all capture cards followed by (properly) reconfiguring them would fix
the issue.  (However, the hard part in this situation is figuring out
the difference between your current configuration and proper
configuration--i.e. making sure you don't repeat the same misconfiguration.)

Mike