[mythtv-users] Move from Nvidia 220 to what card?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 18:34:19 UTC 2012

On 30 Oct 2012, at 18:28, F.B. Parker wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> What should I be looking for in the frontend log?
>
> A quick search of the log shows this:
>
> Jul  5 07:08:24 mythbackend1 mythfrontend[2555]: E CoreContext audio/audiooutputalsa.cpp:211 (SetPreallocBufferSize) ALSA: Error opening /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/prealloc: Permission denied.
> Jul  5 07:08:24 mythbackend1 mythfrontend[2555]: E CoreContext audio/audiooutputalsa.cpp:213 (SetPreallocBufferSize) ALSA: Try to manually increase audio buffer with: echo 192 | sudo tee /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/prealloc

Yes, that's it.

I found when playing some bluray movies it was asking to increase to 3072 that's why I set it to that.

> Jul  5 07:08:24 mythbackend1 mythfrontend[2555]: E CoreContext audio/audiooutputalsa.cpp:545 (OpenDevice) ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size - underruns are likely
> Jul  5 07:08:26 mythbackend1 mythfrontend[2555]: I CoreContext mythrender_vdpau.cpp:1675 (CreatePresentationSurfaces) VDPAU: Created 2 output surfaces.
>
> Not sure what that permission problem is. My setup is Mythbuntu 12.04 with MythTV 0.25 on a 3.1 GHz two-core Athlon, 4 GB RAM, GT430, not overclocked. Pretty simple setup.

I was never able to work out the permission issue either.

> Does it matter that I'm not using audio through HDMI? My audio is spdif through toslink cable from the mobo to the receiver/amp. I'm not having any audio problem symptoms. It's just that the video playback of medium to fast panning scenes can be seen to slightly stutter at times.

Don't know but it certainly made a big difference to me and there have been others on the list that I got it from.

> Also I switched this machine over from Mythbuntu 10.10 with MythTV 0.24 to Mythbuntu 12.04 with MythTV 0.25 last July. I don't remember the system having this video stutter before, but I could be wrong :)

Subtle stutters can be invisible for months and then once you have noticed it you can't stop seeing it.