[mythtv-users] Duplicate Channels found since Digital Switch Over and some don't work !

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 13:19:35 UTC 2012

On 29 Oct 2012, at 12:32, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>> I'm based in Northumberland, and since the local 'digital switch-over' I've retuned my Mythtv backend several times, and I keep getting multiple channels for the same channel, and some of these aren't watchable (they never lock).  For instance I currently have two ITV2 channels, one with Freqid 29 that doesn't lock, and one with freqid 54 that does.
>
> This is a common problem, and has been discussed recently - check the archives for the thread "Ignoring certain channels from certain inputs".
>
> You almost certainly have a second transmitter (probably a local infill, or perhaps a more distant main transmitter in a different region) which you can pick up signals from. On a full scan, you will get all the multiplexes listed from both transmitters.
>
> The trick is to figure out which is your "good" transmitter, and scan a single frequency to get that mux and the related transports (that's a tick box you need to turn on). Then you can "scan existing transports" to get all the multiplexes from just the one transmitter.

Yes it was me who had this problem and discussed it recently :)

Start here :

http://www.ukfree.tv/starthere.php

Find your local transmitter(s). Then, in the backend setup under 'Channel Editor', choose 'Edit Transports'. You should now see a bunch of transports with the frequencies assigned to them. The trick now is to match up those frequencies to the frequencies of your local transmitters as read from that web link. You should then be able to figure out which transmitter you are getting the duplicates from. Once you've found the frequencies you don't want, delete those transports. Now delete all your channels and do a channel scan again, but this time choose 'Scan of all existing transports'. If you've deleted the right transports you should get all the channels with no duplicates.

BTW once you know this information you can also use it to tune your TV properly, if it has a 'Manual Tuning' mode.

Mark