[mythtv-users] Lost HDMI sound in Media Library->Search Internet videos after move to Mythbuntu 12.04

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 07:48:28 UTC 2012

On 29/10/12 18:25, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 29/10/12 16:53, Ian Evans wrote:
>>>
>>> I've already installed that and gone through the various HDMI
>>> controller choices, but still nothing, It's driving me crazy that
>>> Myth's sound works except for the internet video stuff. (or if I want
>>> to watch a show on a site on the TV).
>>

>> So your failing to hear audio produced by a web browser or probably more
>> correctly a browser plug-in?
>>
>> Have you identified the piece of software used by the browser and configured
>> that to play through your HDMI port? or alternatively configured your HDMI
>> audio port as the default audio output port?
>>

> I guess we just crossed paths with our emails. Browser sound is now
> working, at least with the current choice in pavucontrol.
>
> Right now, I don't have sound in Myth's Search Internet Video. Where
> does it get it's sound settings since all other myth sound is working
> (And always has for 18 months.)

Caveat1::  My production system is 0.21 running on _OLD_ hardware

Caveat2:: I am running up a new system to be based on 0.24 on more
modern hardware with an HDMI interface.

The FE hardware is an Atom Ion2 based system

I was having trouble getting audio from all sources to output via the
HDMI port until I installed the following file at /etc/asound.conf

# Start of File
# #########################

defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 7

pcm.!default {
         type plug
         slave.pcm "dmix"
}

# End of File

It was only when I studied  the ALSA website and wiki (
http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc ) that I came to understand what was
needed for my particular situation.

Tony