[mythtv-users] Permissions on Video Library storage group directories

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:48:36 UTC 2012

Hi All

I was looking for some advice on how people configure the directories
that they use with video storage groups.

On my backend myth runs as the mythtv user but I am generally logged
in as the stephen user.

Currently the top level of my one and only video storage groups is at
/media/disk/Videos.  This is owned by "stephen" and in group "stephen"
and is readable/writeable by everyone.  So scripts run by the backend
have no problem writing here and things mostly work.  However they are
created as mythtv:mythtv with permissions 644 and having the 777
permissons on the top level seems wrong.

One thought was to use setgid(which I have only just been reading
about) on the folder and also create a "Videos" group with stephen and
mythtv as members but that would still only give stephen read access
to the files.

I kind of get the feeling my lack of knowledge is making this more
complicated than it needs to be.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Stephen