[mythtv-users] Best options/howto for diskless frontends

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Oct 25 20:05:42 UTC 2012

On 10/24/2012 15:46, Michael Drons wrote:
> My only requirement is that the frontends boot quickly.  The gentoo FE
> boot from power on to mythtv ready in about 45 seconds with no
> hibernation or sleep configured.
>
> A nice to have would be for the frontends to share the nfs partition
> (currently have 3 diskless fe).  My current setup takes a lot of disk as
> each FE has its own root nfs mount point.

I have a fairly unorthodox configuration. I have all my frontends
booting Gentoo over iSCSI. The backing store are volumes stored on ZFS
on my FreeBSD file server. I have one generic Gentoo install that I
periodically chroot into and update. After updating, all of the
individual frontends get shut down, new base images are cloned off that
generic volume, and the frontends boot into them. On the first boot,
they rsync their own custom overlay and reboot.

The generic Gentoo volume is nothing more than the manual install
directions, starting from a stage3 tarball. I do need a custom initrd,
with a handful of iSCSI libraries and helper applications, to mount and
pivot into the iSCSI volume. Since all the frontends are clones off the
master, they only store changes from the master (typically logs and
themecache), and thus only amount to a few hundred MB before they get
refreshed. Since they are independent volumes, I can store as many old
copies as I want, meaning all I need to do to rollback is select one of
the old images through the PXELinux menu. As far as Linux is concerned,
you're just using a normal partition on a normal disk, so there is no
need for shared read-only mounts or funky union/aufs overlays.

I can't claim it's a fast boot. As with any network boot, you're going
to have a good 15-20 seconds just waiting for the PXE boot rom to
initialize and do it's thing. Once you get past that, my kernel plus
embedded initrd is only 5.5MB, so your boot speed depends on the type of
storage you have on the file server.