[mythtv-users] Best options/howto for diskless frontends

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Oct 25 18:27:57 UTC 2012

On 25/10/12 19:06, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 12:25:24PM +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> For reference LTSP under Debian "Just Works". Once I figured out
>> which chicken to sacrifice (the docs are a little obscure for my
>> liking) I just ran the scripts and it all worked out of the tin.
>>
>> I wouldn't dream of running a front end that way, though. You would
>> have to make it a 'local app' since there's no chance in hell you
>> can run the video over remote X from the server*. For a workstation
>> LTSP is fine, though.
>>
>> * It's perfectly possible to run the setup and walk through the
>> front-end menus screens via LTSP. Just don't try and watch anything
>> that way.
>
> You make it a "fat client" and everything runs on the frontend machine
> locally.  Works just fine.

...in which case you might just as well set up a netboot chroot, no need to get
involved with the complexities of LTSP.

LTSP is only useful if you have (i) 'thin' kit or old PCs which can be used as
such; (ii) you are doing normal desktop functions but don't want to duplicate
OS, files and storage across your workstations.

Because it uses the remote functionality of X for the display LTSP is not really
appropriate for graphic or video functions (although pulseaudio means you
/might/ be able to use it for audio).

--

Mike Perkins