[mythtv-users] Batch Download and Archive Recordings With Expanded File Names

Marco Quezada mellamanjefe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 11:58:37 UTC 2012

On Oct 25, 2012 7:38 AM, "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 25/10/12 02:32, tortise wrote:

>>> Why not leave these drives permanently attached?  Just get a cheap
>>> controller card, and only spin them up when you need to access something
>>> off of them.
>>

>> Interesting idea that I've also been pondering, I'm up to the 6th large
(circa
>> 2T) HDD now, the backend case wouldn't cope with its pre-existing 4
drives.

>> Given the stimulus of the comment to think about this some more a
largish case
>> with an old motherboard might be a good repository for these, with as you
>> suggest spin up options, or maybe WOL might suffice for when I want to
look in
>> the archive drives....just turn the whole shebang on...  spinning down
drives
>> even in this role probably has merit.
>>
>> I'm not so familiar with server cases, but seems a server case would be
the
>> thing to get for this.  There are lots of old pc's being flogged off
these days
>> including servers, I might start looking at these.
>>
> Be careful using old servers. They often sound like jet engines and have
a power consumption to match!

> You can get a 2U server case which will take a standard m/b and power
supply (low profile cards, though). That may be an option for you. There
was a 6-bay model like that offered in a one-day sale here for 96 GBP and I
missed it. Darn!

> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Consider a low power standalone storage solution like those from Synology (
www.synology.com). I have a 411 slim model but considering a 8 bay model to
really increase storage capacity.