[mythtv-users] Migration from 0.23.1 to 0.25.2 --- partial mythconverg update

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 25 00:14:45 UTC 2012

On 10/23/2012 11:33 PM, Joe Henley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Several months ago I started to add in an HD-PVR to my system.  That
> drove me to migrate from version 0.23.1 to 0.25.2 for Myth.  As it
> turned out I had to change from CentOS-5 to Fedore 16 to get the
> latest HD-PVR drivers.  Which in turn forced a switch to systemd and
> to xfce4 (from KDE) and to grub2 (from grub).  And so, it took abit
> longer than initially planned.  Phew!
>
> When I started out, I set up a new disk partition, installed Fedora 16
> on it, and did all my work there.  I was able to keep Myth 23.1 up and
> running (WAF critical) in the old partition, and jump over to the new
> one when I had time to work on it.  When I started, I copied over the
> complete data base and used it for alot of the testing.  It all went
> fairly well (it now works).
>
> So now I have the original partition with Myth 23.1 and a current
> mythconverg  plus a new partition with Myth 25.2 and an old
> mythconverg.  I can use myth video to get all the recordings from the
> old to the new, and all the critical settings data is already there.
> But how do I get the recordings history from the old partition with
> the current data, to the new partition with the old data?
>
> Perhaps I could do a "partial restore" .... but Mr Dean's admonitions
> against it are strong.  Anybody got a better idea, or successful
> experience?

Partial restore can't be used to "merge" data from 2 different MythTV
systems (which is why I keep saying a partial restore is a waste--it has
no benefits over a full restore).  As a matter of fact, there's no
supported way to merge data from different systems (as it's very
difficult to link everything up properly while also preventing key
collisions).

So, pick the one database with the most recording history and use that
for your new system, going forward, by doing a full restore of that
database and "rebuild" history from the other system by either recording
and deleting shows you've got/watched from the other system or--if you
catch them before they air--by creating "Never record" override rules
for the episodes you don't want.

Mike